Friday, September 19, 2008

What a week!

I hate to grip about life, but this has been one rough week! It kind of started about a week and a half ago when I was driving around Bountiful, looking for the school where I was working that day. Suddenly, the power steering went out on the Saab and all sorts of warning lights came on inside the car. I finally found the place that I was looking for, but I had to call Brian to tell him that the car was broken. He had to bring a trailer up to Bountiful to rescue me. We had a belt go out on the car and a pulley and had to special order the parts. So, the car sat for a week.

On Friday, we had the ward campout. It went really well, but I didn't hardly get any sleep and it was COLD!!! We are on the activities committee with another couple, so the four of us had to fun the whole event.

Saturday, after we got home from the campout, Brian headed next door to work. As I was enjoying the football game, I was startled by Brian running through the door, holding his hand and panicked. He'd dropped a cement mixer on his hand and tore the nail off of his pinky finger. So, we hopped in the car and headed to the emergency room to make sure Brian didn't break his finger. They x-rayed the finger and found that it wasn't crushed, but could be cracked.

On Tuesday this week, I was at a school in Springville photographing, and for some reason a little fifth grader decided to tell her mom that I said she was retarded. I have never said anything like that to a child and as I processed the things I said to the little girl, I told her, "You'll look cuter if you smile." Apparently the fifth-grader translation of that is "You're retarded." So, I got to go home early, in tears and all. But thankfully, one of my managers was there and was able to vouch for me with the boss. That same evening, we pulled all of the furniture out of our family room because we are getting new carpet.

Thursday, the carpet came! It is awesome. However, what's not awesome is that Brian is practically paralyzed because he's thrown out his back. He can't move without groaning.

Now it's Friday and I'm looking forward to the weekend. Oh, on a brighter note, Brian and I turned 25 this last week. His birthday was the 10th and mine was the 17th. Happy Birthday to us!

7 comments:

Holly said...

Sorry your birthdays have probably been kinda crummy! Give Brian a hug for me, I didn't know he was hurt- or doubly hurt! I hope you like canning and join the rest of us crazy nuts. ( : I think I'm going to have to live in the loony bin for awhile after canning 216 jars of food in the last 2 days as well as drying and freezing some. Aack! It IS fun and yummy though. I hope Brian gets feeling better and that you don't get any more little liar faced kids!

Marisha said...

Well happy birthday inspite of a interesting week! (: and you're better then me, I probably would have called the child retarded. i don't have much patience with kids, and yet i want to be a teacher...?

Crewton said...

dang, I hate those kind of weeks. Sorry about your work, I have had experiences like that. happy belated birthday to the two of you!!!

The Jessee Journal said...

holy hernia. It can only get better from here right? :)

Alicia Bunderson said...

Kimber, sounds like a very eventful week. Sorry about Brian, that totally stinks. I'm glad it was just his pinky finger and not his whole hand that could have been majorly crapy. And for you to call a little girl retarded..or at least her interpretation is sad. I can only imagine how you felt being sent home early because of a 5th grader. Sorry girl. you know you can call me anytime..especially with a week like that. but happy birthday non the less!

Emily said...

Hey, happy belated Birthday! I really should write birthdays on my calendar because I always think I'll remember them, and I never do. Thanks for blogging the date so that I can write it down and send you an on-time birthday shout-out next year!!!

25 is a good year, despite what your last week's experiences seem to indicate.

I'm glad Brian's finger is mostly okay--sounds like construction is not agreeing with him lately.

I'm sorry about the mean 5th grader. Kids can be so weird sometimes. I talked to a parent this week who was mad because her daughter said I made her stay and do work until 7pm. Please . . . I just wonder what she was doing that she had to come up with such a lame excuse for. Perhaps the girl will learn her lesson when her pictures come back and she wishes she had smiled!

3+Love~aki=Us said...

WOW! don't worry about gripping..that was a LOADED week..but happy b-day! :) Mine was the 21, what an AWESOME month!