Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Isn't it funny...

I happened to be looking at my friend Dan Kim's blog a moment ago and I had to jump on to post my thoughts. Isn't it funny how each of our individual lives are so different from one another? I think it's fascinating to see what time does for people (notice I said "for" not "to"). Situations change and experiences differ, but neither one way or the other is bad or good. My dear friends Dan Kim and Jason McGee are spending the next three weeks traveling around Europe. Being a visual person, I started picturing walking around different countries day after day and seeing all that those places have to offer. Then, of course, my knees start to hurt as I realize not only how nice it would be to walk around and explore the world, but I'd be satisfied if a trip in Brian's truck didn't plunge me into the abyss of discomfort.

Dan, Jason, Brian and I might be about the same age, but boy are our lives different. Do I envy them for getting to travel? Absolutely! But I get to be a mom soon and that's incredibly awesome too! We're just different is all. Everyone's lives have so much in store and no two paths seem to go exactly the same and I think it's better that way. I love to see my friends grow and develop in the different stages we're all in. I love listening to Nicole tell stories about her two girls. I love running into a high school friend who is on his fourth kid. I love living vicariously through my unattached friends as they move not only through the country, but through the world effortlessly. I won't be able to head out to the store without quite a bit of effort soon!

What am I really trying to say? Isn't it funny how wonderful and diverse our lives are. I'm grateful for everyone and getting to experience a little of their lives vicariously through stories and pictures. What a wonderful blessing from God to have so many different people to know and love and watch and learn from.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I love your thought Kimber. It is so true, there really is good and something to envy from each of those situations. I do have to say try to make sure that having children dosn't stop you from doing the things that you want to do(which I am sure that you won't) Stven and I lived in Spain for 2 months when Miranda was only 4 months old. Anything is possible.

Nicoletta said...

I couldn't agree more! There are definitely days when I dream about traveling the world or even just to the grocery store without a diaper bag especially when you see friends and family members who are able to have such adventures, but most of the time I know that I'm living my dream and I wouldn't trade my life for any of it and I'm grateful to live those other dreams vicariously.

This is a random thought, but did you ever sell one of your cars? If not are you still thinking about it? We are sort of looking and if they right deal came up we would maybe jump on it so I'm just curious.

Dan said...

Hey! How did I miss this generous mention of me in your blog?

Well, traveling the world is quite easy. Traveling around with Jason McGee, though, is certainly not effortless. He paid me a lot of money not to go into specific details, but I'll leave it up to your imagination.

My life isn't really all that glamorous though. Today, for example, I just sat inside reading books and articles for research. Nothing exciting about that really.

But if my pictures helped you escape the daily routine, I'm happy about that.