Friday, April 10, 2009

I believe in miracles

Taxes...

I really hate taxes.

I didn't always hate taxes, because once upon a time, they meant more money. Not so much this year. I did our taxes in March and discovered that Brian and I owed about $1200. I was shocked. I cried (really). I didn't know what we were going to do because we need to pay for a baby this year, not taxes. So, with the encouragement of Brian, Erin, and Dad, (and a lot of prayers) I decided to let H&R Block do a second look. Afterall, it would be worth the $30 just to know how to prevent this from happening next year.

I went to my appointment and hallejuah! the tax lady found an education credit that we hadn't taken. So, instead of paying $899 to the Federal government, we will now receive $9 back from them. We still owe State, but hey, $272 is a LOT better than $1200! So, miracles do exist and I'm a believer!

9 comments:

Angie said...

Wowza!! That is so GREAT! Those tax people really know what they're doing. You guys must be paying your tithing...

Holly said...

Yay! I'm glad you found something that could get you outta those taxes!

Tiffany said...

oh hallelujah for you guys! I think I would cry all over again! :)

Phannie said...

I have a great CPA and he is in Orem. Down the street from you. Actually, he's in your ward. Brother Winn.

I hope that H&R Block didn't charge you an arm and a leg. They charged us over $250 the first year we did taxes.

We owe taxes every year because one or both of us in each year contract out. It's stupid, but he helps a whole lot. Instead of paying almost $3000 this year we payed under $1000. He's great and quick. I'm also picky about who handles my money. I trust him.

I'm glad to hear that you got it all figured out. If you need someone next year Vance is great.

Lacking Productivity said...

Whew! What a gianormous relief!

How is baby stuff going by the way?

Alicia Bunderson said...

That is just awesome. Ya we expected a lot of money this year like a couple thousand dollars like last year...oh no we only got 300 and we owed 12 dollars to the state. So not bad, but still I think we got screwed! I'm so glad you went to H&R block and found out you didn't have to pay that much!

Cheryl said...

Wow Kimber! That can be soo stressful! I'm way proud of you and excited that you were able to reduce your taxes sooo much!

Like you need more stress on top of being pregnant! Hope easter was great!

The Jessee Journal said...

Hey Kimber (I hope you have this set up for e-mail notification ... otherwise I don't know if you'll notice this comment!haha) I got your comment on my blog, and I was totally going to ask you if I could practice on your baby -- especially since it's a girl! Baby bows make babies look so adorable :D I'm hoping to have an actual photography business running this summer, but unfortunately, until I have room for a "studio" type setup I will only be asking friends to practice on their newborns -- cause friends don't mind the ghetto setup I use in my living room to take pictures of their baby :D Anyway, we'll chat closer to the date, but let's def. plan on taking her pictures sometime in the first 5 days of life (that way she will be sleepy and bendable for us :D

Joanna McGuire said...

Good deal that you don't owe that much that would stink. Those tax people are good. It was fun to chat with you today and we will have to plan a time to get together soon.