Sunday, March 23, 2008

Food Storage...

So, I'm laughing a bit tonight because I was doing my weekly (ok, it's more like every other day) stops at all my friend's and family's blogs and I went to my sister-in-law, Holly's, blog and read about her adventures in food storage. The reason I'm laughing is because I have become ultra paranoid after reading a somewhat ridiculous book that my mother-in-law let me borrow. To sum up, the plot of the story is that a family goes through a natural disaster and has to figure out a way to survive. They run to the store at the last possible moment and end up with a somewhat decent amount of food. Anyway, it's got me a bit frantic about the thought of being caught in a disaster and not having anything to feed me and Brian. So, I don't have a substitute job for this Friday and in Relief Society they passed around some information about the cannery. Lucky for me, we have a cannery opportunity for Friday so I'm going to take that as a Divine nudge to get to the cannery to start this whole food storage thing. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't really have a clue where to start so if anyone has pointers or recommendations for what to do and get, I would seriously love it!

6 comments:

Angie said...

Way to go Kimber! The food storage bug hits us all at some time or another. Review the new pamphlet from the church about food storage, it has good tips. Holly is right about storing what you use! Don't buy 20 buckets of wheat! That's not practical for you guys right now. But storing some extra flour and sugar would be. Pinto beans are easy to use now, but also very practical for an emergency. Lots of fruit too. And remember, in a real disaster, we'd all band together and share our resources. I think my mom's considering putting in grain silos at the new house . . . ha ha ha!

Holly said...

Yay for the food storage bug! I have info. on how to seal things up in buckets and how long things last when stored properly, and how to store food properly. But like Angela wrote, store what you actually eat! If you don't make bread and have no way to even grind the wheat, it's silly to store it! Even with beans- do you know how to cook dried beans? Only very recently have I been trying to do that. I always had store-bought canned beans. Cooking beans takes a long time- so you have to plan ahead. Anyway- email me any questions.

momfurr said...

I'm glad all you girls are with the food storage program! I hadn't thought about a silo, but that might be a good idea - or I should at least put a good sized "hold" in the pirate ship!!! I have several handouts on storage quantity recommendations, packaging, etc. and would be glad to help out in any way. I also have access to a can sealer here in my ward if we want to do some "sealings" this summer! (Just a little food storage humor!!) I am working on grains right now because grain prices are rising so fast. I got some pasta today for under $1 a pound, so if you are interested in pasta, let me know! Keep up the good work!!

Nicoletta said...

Hey friend, I have not been bitten by the food storage bug yet and it's a darn good thing because my house overfloweth with stuff as it is. We barely have enough room to store the food we will be eating for the next 2 weeks to a month. But, as a wedding present my mom did buy us a pre-planned/measured/boxed food storage "kit" (for lack of a better word) from the cannery. We have two boxes that have shelf stable food from each of the food groups. Our two boxes would feed the two of us for 2 months. You can get the "kits" at the cannery and you can personalize them somewhat - choose what kind of protein, grain, veggie, and fruit you want in your kit. While it's not a year supply it has at least helped me feel somewhat prepared and it's a good start for us until we can add to our supply.

Teresa said...

Hey Kimber. I don't know if you remember me from Linens N' Things (such good times, who could forget??) Teresa Goodwin? Anywho, I am friends with Angie and saw your picture on her blog, and I told her to tell you "hi". But, then I found YOUR blog from her blog...so I will say "hi" myself! Thats cool that you married Brian! Fun family to marry into! Anyways, feel free to come check out our blog!

Jamie said...

Hey Kimba!
I have been trying to up the food storage. I go grocery shopping every week (or sometimes every other week) but in anycase, everytime I do, I always buy at least one or two extra things to go into food storage. I also refill old juice containers with water and have them stashed in a corner. Another good idea is to just grab an old backpack or bag and just start filling it with little odds and ends in case of an emergency like flashlight, candy to suck on (like lifesavers or jolly ranchers) and food. That way if you need to get out of the house quick you can just grab the bags and go. anyway, just some thoughts. Anything is better than nothing so just as long as you are starting is a good idea. Dont' fret about getting a whole year's supply in one trip.good luck!